Tuesday, March 24, 2009

It's been awhile


I have been poor at posting anything as of late. It seems school has been taking all of my time. The classes are going very well spring break is over which allowed some time to catch up and move a little ahead. It has really amazed me as to much there is to learn about the history of photography and the uniqueness of the medium. Information that I knew intuitively I can now use words to express those feelings. Tone, texture, depth etc. all of definition and boundaries in photography as well as any other art form.

The early photographer's were a hardy lot, traipsing about the country side with glass plates and chemicals to develop those plates

This is "Bill" one of the denizens of the pier homeless that I am using as my project for this semester. Trying to show how these folks are really lost to our society. For whatever reason we seem to ignore them when they are in plain sight. Most are pretty social and enjoy talking about themselves, if given the opportunity. They all are unique many are mentally ill, few have choosen this form of life, but they all laugh and smile when the opportunity arises. Drugs and alcohol play a pretty big part in many of their lives. Some like "Bill" live on the pier with fishing poles out all the time. He just can not get caught sleeping. He has a valid license to fish, and fishing is allowed 24hours a day on the pier.

3 comments:

Derek said...

Great to see a new post. I have lagging on my blog as well. I think it just works like that at times. I like your picture because it definitely captures the humanness of "Bill". It is a portrait of a man, doing whatever he may be doing. The obvious emotion on his face.

dakotasmommy said...

nice to see you posting again I always love your writing.

Jim R said...

Great post Kent, what an interesting picture of of Bill, really captures the ruggedness of living that life, yet his face displays a sense of peace.