Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving What a Wonderful Day



Another year has past. Hard to believe how quickly they fly by, and great it is to live during these trying times for our Country. This day brings it all together with the very best of this Nation. You can see it in all the Volunteerism throughout the land, and the coming together of families for merely food and conversation, maybe a board game or work on a jig-saw puzzle. Some people we only see a few times a year others we see regularly, but it is all good and gives me warm feeling in my heart and soul. Why we can't have these feelings every day is beyond me, we don't have to work hard to feel this well about our fellow man.
This year once again, I prepared the onions, celery (home grown), and bread for the stuffing in the bird and out of the bird. I have had this task for years and I really enjoy doing it. I never remember the amounts for each ingredient, 10 cups of cubed bread, 6 cups each of diced celery and onions. Oh well it always seems to come out all right.
This year I did have a bit of saddening realization for myself. After the last piece of pumpkin pie was eaten and all the family and friends had headed home I realized that I may never be able to enjoy those tastes of my favorite meals again. The turkey dinner is right up there at the top of those favorites, along with Joyce's fried chicken, liver and onions, chili and potato salad, fruit pies of any kind,an ice cold Guiness and many more. This should not have been a big shock to me, but it was. I have been going to speech and swallowing therapy for almost a year, with some advancement in my speech but really none in the swallowing department. I thought that is alright I enjoy the aromas and the colors of the various dishes, as well as the incredible conversation that goes around the table. I decided tonight not to be depressed over this missing enjoyment and focus more on what I do have. A warm loving family and friends who care deeply about me, as I do about them. In this light my inability to eat seems rather insignificant. So I'm very Thankful.


3 comments:

Derek said...

Glad to hear you still enjoyed the day dad. I actually thought that it was one of the best Thanksgivings we have had in a long time. I hope every year is better and better.

dakotasmommy said...

I would be lying if I said it didn't make me sad that you could not enjoy the actual eating with us, it is hard, but sitting next to you chatting holding hands are just as much part of the day to me and just as important. and never give up hope dad, amazing things are happening all the time.

Jim R said...

Hi Dakota's Papa,
Thanks for the Christmas card and wonderful letter, so good to touch bases with you again, being able to read your blog and see all the beautiful pictures of Dakota. I did a weeks fast back in October and know how hard it is to give up all food for just a week, can't imagine how challenging to give that up indefinitely - but like Kristin says, amazing things are happening! Looking forward to your next post