Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I'm not sure Why I'm Doing This


My sweet daughter has started a blog chronicling her adventure's into being a young Mom, and suggested that I should create a Blog of my own. Now, I've pondered that idea for several weeks and now here I am. Where I go from here I guess depends on my mood and the events of the day.

I find it very interesting that all of a sudden things are happening in Iraq, where for years now we have heard very little of happy advances there. Anbar province being turned over to Iraq control, when not so long ago all we heard were the numbers of dead there. Do not misunderstand me, I'm very pleased with this new announcement. I'm just a political cynic. Also interesting that the Russia, Georgia conflict falling off the paper. The Olympics also have past, without much talk about human-rights and such drivel. Election years are always filled with stunning news items that are not worthy of even being called news.How important to being a good honest politican is having a virginal daughter?? I don't know seems to happen here pretty regularly across the great spectrum of our society.

Well enough of politics; How-a-Bout those Niners Where are we gonna end up this year?? The NFL starts again in a few days. I know when Feb. came last year it seemed like it would be forever until Aug/Sept. would be here. I watched the Super Bowl with my Son in my room at UCLA. I think it was one of the best games I've ever seen. Now I was totally sober and I can't say that for every Super Bowl ,or game I've ever seen. Having my Son watch with me was very odd ( Great but Odd) He is not a big fan of televised sports and I'm proud of him for that He did not get that from me maybe His Mom.

Now why was I in UCLA at Super Bowl time? Well I had, in early January, been diagonosed with a new tumor in my throat. Back in August of 2000 I had the same diagnosis and underwent 9+ hours of surgery frought with much angst for my family and friends. The outcome from that operation for years was nothing short of miraculous in my opinion. After being told that the operation could leave me unable to speak, or to eat without a tube in my stomache. I may have a trech to breath. With those gloomy thoughts off to surgery I was wheeled. I did not drink or eat after midnight that Aug.8th. I did drink and smoke before midnight , and smoked before going into the hospital. I came through in great shape. I had a few dramatic dreams while in the ICU, but after that all things were good. 9 days later I went home and for the last 8 years I continued to work and eat and live life.

3 comments:

The Sagittarian said...

Good on you for tackling things head on! When my own Dad was ill, I got him to start writing about his life and he did so. We have copies of all that from Dad and it will be something my children will treasure. Welcome to Blogland!

Derek and Sunshines Dad said...

Thank you Sag I too am a sag as well as my wife(12/15-12/16) and my son 12/20. Don't know what happened with my daughter 6/13.

Derek said...

There is always that odd ball. It was really a great thing to share with ya dad, that super bowl. Can't even put into words the emotions of that day or the days before. It feels like forever ago and the intensity of those nights had already been forgotten until now. I loved watching all the internet "televised" judo I could watch!!! haha